Civil Engineer Job Description
Morley is seeking an engineering team member to complete site, roadway, storm water drainage, erosion control, sanitary sewer and potable water designs for residential, commercial, and industrial developments.
You love the land, buildings, and construction but prefer to work in an office setting most days. You are good with people and enjoy interacting with clients. You excel working in a team environment and perform your part to get a job done right. You are able to see the big picture and can visualize a project’s end result before the first bulldozer hits the site. You enjoy technology and don’t mind sitting in front of computer screen making designs come to life in technical drawings and layouts. You like to be the first one on the job so that you can see a project all the way through from conceptualization to construction. You use a combination of your engineering knowledge, experience, and common sense to design and problem solve. You are detailed oriented and verify your work to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws.
Morley is a 40-year strong architecture, engineering, and surveying firm built on family tradition and decades of experience. We value relationships, trust, and hard work. We are dedicated to our employees and to our clients. We seek to be the best in our industry and the one a client calls when they want it done right. We treat our clients and employees like family and we expect you to do the same. We strive for excellence and want you to be the best at your job. We provide opportunities for team collaboration, skills development, training, and professional growth. For more information visit www.morleycorp.com.
About the Work
You will create land development plans for a variety of residential, commercial, and industrial projects. Morley clients put their trust in the project engineer not only to design a well-functioning and cost-efficient site but to guide them through the process. You will get to bring our clients’ ideas and dreams to reality though your engineering expertise. Short of designing the buildings, you will design every other aspect of the development from roadways and sidewalks to drainage and utilities. You will interact with clients, contractors, and local authorities every step of the way from conceptualization to the grand opening.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete site designs and layouts for residential, commercial, and industrial developments including roadways, sidewalks, parking lots, storm water drainage, erosion control, sanitary sewer, and potable water.
- Write storm water drainage and erosion control reports complying with federal, state, and local laws.
- Coordinate with federal, state, and local authorities to receive required permitting and/or rezoning for projects.
- Estimate construction costs for roadways, storm water drainage, sanitary sewer, and potable water for residential subdivision clients.
- Prepare bid estimates and proposals for new engineering projects.
- Coordinate work and communicate findings with the Morley architecture and surveying departments as needed for projects.
- Adhere to Morley safety policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Able to travel out of town occasionally.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering required from an ABET accredited BSCE program preferred.
- Some coursework in surveying preferred.
- Experience in Civil3D software preferred.
- Efficient with computers and proficient in MS Office software.
- Relational: Has strong interpersonal skills and understands customer service. Maintains a professional, courteous and respectful relationship with clients.
- Work Ethic: Produces significant output with minimal wasted effort. Works well both independently and in a team environment.
- Problem Solver: Understands and interprets data and troubleshoots when needed. Uses engineering knowledge combined with common sense to resolve challenging issues.
- Discerning: Able to quickly understand a large number of variables to discern the next step to take in the design process.
- Decisive: Comfortable making decisions moving a design forward and not being paralyzed by the fact that there are multiple design solutions to every project.
- Accurate: Completes designs, calculations, and reports in a thorough manner and ensures accuracy and compliance to codes by verifying data prior to work submittal.
- Flexible: Able to accept a wide variety of work and do what needs to be done even if means going out in the field and being a survey crew team member occasionally.
- Focused: Able to stay focused and prioritize tasks to meet project deadlines.
- Proactive: Actively seeks to advance knowledge and abilities by learning new technology and equipment.
The engineer position is a full-time salary position. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance. Pay is dependent on education and work experience. Morley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested in applying? Fill out the contact form below.